MIRI: Enam puluh tujuh orang dari 17 keluarga hilang tempat tinggal apabila rumah mereka musnah dalam kebakaran di kawasan setinggan di Pujut Corner, di sini hari ini.
Kebakaran dikatakan bermula dari sebuah rumah di kawasan itu pada pukul 10.30 pagi sebelum merebak dengan cepat dan memusnahkan 15 rumah lain dalam tempoh setengah jam.

Keadaan cuaca panas dan kesukaran mendapatkan air menyukarkan usaha untuk memadamkan kebakaran itu, kata Pegawai Kanan II Bomba dan Penyelamat Abdul Latip Kassim.
Sementara itu, pengerusi Jawatankuasa Pengurusan Bencana Bahagian Miri Antonio Kahti Galis berkata sebuah pusat penempatan sementara disediakan di bangunan Persatuan Bulan Sabit Merah Malaysia di sini untuk menempatkan mangsa yang terlibat.

“Setakat ini belum dapat dipastikan lagi jumlah sebenar yang memerlukan penempatan sementara ini kerana saya dimaklumkan ada mangsa yang berpindah ke rumah sanak-saudara mereka,” katanya kepada Bernama di sini hari ini. – Bernama


MIRI: A morning fire destroyed nine squatter houses in Pujut Corner here, leaving 67 people from 17 families homeless.Four teenagers were cut by shards of broken glasses in the blaze, which broke out around 10.30am yesterday.The squatters’ attempts to put the fire out by dousing with buckets of water sourced from a nearby tap were in vain; the fire swept quickly through houses that were built close to each other.The fire started from one of the houses, according to an eyewitness who saw smoke issuing from it.Thirty one firemen, two fire engines from Bomba Lopeng and one from Bomba Miri rushed to the scene after receiving a call from the public at about 10.40am.Fanned by a strong wind, the fire turned into an inferno within half an hour as firemen struggled to bring it under control.The fire spread to nearby houses where occupants frantically rushed to salvage their belongings.Miri Fire and Rescue Department officer Abdul Latip Kassim was at the scene.

“The fire was finally brought under control by 1.30pm and Bomba is still investigating the cause,” Abdul Latip told The Borneo Post when contacted yesterday.He revealed that three teenagers were cut by broken bottles when trying to salvage their belongings, while another was cut by a zinc sheet. A man who was caught stealing a coral during the commotion was later detained at Miri Central Police station for investigation.Abdul Latip said most of the fire victims are putting up with nearby relatives while some will be staying at MRCS Miri Centre.

A pregnant woman said most of the occupants were housewives and children while the men folk were away working.“All my personal belongings were destroyed in the fire,” moaned the housewife, in shock to see her house reduced to ashes.Another victim who is working in a private firm was informed about the fire by a relative and rushed home. Upon arriving home, he wept to see only ashes left.Meanwhile, the squatters are seeking the assistance of their newly elected YBs in their time of need.As at press time, total loss in the flames was yet to be ascertained, believed to be thousands of ringgit worth of household items and clothes.