PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang has reiterated his stance that any policy to help the poor should not be race-based.Similarly, the issue of giving discount for properties should be looked at in the same perspective, he said in a press conference.
Commenting on a proposal by Petaling Jaya Utara MP Tony Pua to abolish Bumiputera discount for luxury residential properties above RM500,000, Hadi said although the suggestion was yet to be discussed, it was agreed that the focus should be on helping the poor regardless of race and address the mismanagement of the economy.
“We have yet to discuss anything on it in Pakatan Rakyat. We need to discuss it in the top leaderships council,” Hadi told reporters at a launching event of his latest book in Terengganu.
On whether he agreed that the current practice of giving discount to Bumiputeras even for high-end residential and commercial properties should be abolished, Hadi stressed that discounts for purchase of properties should be extended to all Malaysians and not just Malays.
“What’s happening today is that it did not reach the target group, it only benefited UMNO leaders,” he said.
Saying it was understandable that most of the lower-income group were found among the Bumiputera who formed the majority in the country, Hadi said helping them should not be at the cost of other communities.
“We need to consider the majority of the people who is plagued by poverty. . .we (Muslims) must help other races which are also poor," he said.
He added that it was "wrong for Muslims to oppress other races while protecting the interest of the Malays only", HarakahDaily.net quoted him as saying.
He further pointed out that the root of the problem could be found in Barisan Nasional's mismanagement of the economic system.
“I cannot understand the principles and the economic system adopted by the Barisan Nasional.
"We have a lot of subsidies, but there are too many mismanagement and leakages – hence, the problems are not subsidies but poor management," he said.
Hadi also said Pua's suggestion may have stemmed out of unhappiness such as mismanagement.
“Maybe he is not pleased with the management (of Bumi’s discount) but we need to look into implementation," he said.
Earlier, Hadi's statement appeared to have been taken out of context, with UMNO mouthpiece Utusan Malaysia reporting that he supported the practice of giving discounts for Bumiputeras to purchase high-end properties.
- ► 2016 (46)
- ► 2015 (60)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (109)
- ► 2012 (136)
- ► 2011 (227)
- KENYATAAN MEDIA: PAS Seru PBB,UMNO Kembalilah Pa...
- Separuh Masa Kedua Ramadhan ...Piala Taqwa
- Anak Beranak Taib Rampas Hak Rakyat
- SPR luluskan 18 Penolong Pendaftar dari PAS Miri,t...
- Tabung Kemanusiaan HARAKAH
- Ramadhan perkukuh ikatan Pakatan Rakyat Miri
- Hudud ALLAH Untuk Kebaikan Ummah
- Whither the Malaysian Economy
- ISLAM Penyelesai Masalah Kebejatan Moral
- PAS Rentasi Sempadan Masyarakat
- Projek BN Tiris Lagi!
- Bakun;antara lubuk Emas Taib dan Kroni serta nasib...
- Salam Ramadhan 1431H
- UNMASKED!Taib Mahmud owns Sakti International!
- 59 Keluarga Hilang Tempat Tinggal Dalam Kebakaran
- Race-based policies to help poor un-Islamic, says ...
- Bersama Pakatan Rakyat Lakukan Perubahan
- Ramadhan Bulan Tarbiah
- PAS desak isu Penan dibahaskan di Dewan Rakyat
- PAS Sarawak Reject Soon Koh Action
- Rm$20 million for NCR survey – for whose pocket?
- Munaqasyah Ucapan Dasar Presiden Peringkat Negeri ...
- BN Terdesak
- Soon Koh Decision Stupid!
- ▼ August (24)